Sunday, September 26, 2010

Have you recieved his image in your countenance?

When Amy was just a little girl she helped me learn an important truth about faces. There was a lady in our ward who was old and wrinkly, her skin was leathery from too much sun and had bumps of some kind all over it. She was kind of scary to me but one day I noticed that she was smiling and flirting with someone. When I turned and looked who it was, I was surprised that it was this lady. Even at 1, she knew better than I did to not judge by appearances. There are all kinds of faces in this world but the light in the eyes can tell you much about the inside person. I love Alma Chapter 5 where it asks have your recieve his image in your countenance. What do our faces tell others about who we are and what we believe. I hope our faces express love for others and that when our children look at us they know how much we love them. When they look at us do they see the love our Savior has for them? I read a quote today from David O. McKay. "A child has the right to feel in his home he has a place of refuge, a place of protection from the dangers and evils of the outside world. Family unity and integrity are necessary to supply this need." I remember getting so mad and frustrated and yelling at you kids. I'm sorry I didn't always make our home a place of refuge. I hope that you will be able to do better at that and look at your kids with Christ's image in your countenence. We love you and think you are amazing parents and disciples of Christ.
Zacky was looking at Randy the other day and asked why he had all that saggy skin under his chin.Randy told him that some times when people get older their skin does that. Zacky looked at him again and said, Grandpa, you aren't getter older, you are already old. When you get to be our age, you don't want to look at your face too closely. :}

1 comment:

Brownies said...

That was really good for me to read right now. I've been frustrated with Kyle lately not napping,and I think sometimes he'd rather be somewhere else than at home with an ornery mom! So that's exactly what I needed to hear. I will definitely try harder to make our home a place Kyle wants to be and wants to spend time with me. I'm pretty sure according to Neal you never yelled. I know you were a pretty amazing Mom...that's not good, because then Neal expects me to live up to how you are!!! But there's not a better person I'd rather try to live up to. You're such a good example to me in so many ways. I can't believe how lucky I got to have you and Randy as in laws. I'm sure it's hard to have daughter in laws and see how they handle things...but I truly feel blessed whenever I hear people talk about their in laws, especially Mother in laws, and I can sit back and not have a bad word to say about mine. Thanks for being such an amazing Grandma. Kyle loves you so much and can tell already that you are such a fun, kind person to be around. Great...now when I'm a grandma I'll have to live up to that too!!!
Sorry this kind of turned into a long book...but I appreciate and love you so much Cheryl!