Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Sacred Grove

It was a hot, muggy day when we went to the Sacred Grove. Once we got in the trees though there was a slight breeze and it was 10 degrees cooler. It was such a beautiful day. There is such a calm, reverent feeling there.
The sun shows through occasionally to let the light shine through. You can picture in your mind a pillar of light desending on a young man, searching for truth. It's such a simple story, someone asking for greater light and knowledge and the Lord giving it. It happened to me 30 years ago.
Thiry years ago while I was at the Hill Cumorah Pagent, we listened to the Missionary disscusions. They asked us, as if we were investigators, if we had ever prayed to know if Joseph Smith was a prophet. One of the girls there said she hadn't and it made me realize I had never asked specifically to know if he was a prophet. Later that day we had a chance to go to the Sacred Grove. We each got to go our own way to pray and ponder what happened there. I knelt down and asked for myself if Joseph Smith was a prophet, if the Book of Mormon was true and if God had appeared to him. Immediately my heart was filled with the assurance that it was all true. When I think about it now, it is as fresh in my memory as it was then. I know Joseph Smith asked and recieved answers because I did too! It is a Sacred Place.

No comments: